Can't get motors to turn

More
08 Apr 2014 22:36 #45701 by n_spect_r
I am new to this, trying to retrofit a Bridgeport to LinuxCNC. We bought stepper motors and controllers from Buildyourcnc.com. I am using a parallel port breakout board. I have only the X axis motor connected. From in LinuxCNC I can not get any rotation. I downloaded a parallel port tester applet
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester From the tester, when I click on pin 2 the motor makes one step. Been searching for several days and can't find any solution. Not sure exactly what forum this should be in so I'll start here. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 00:18 #45704 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Can't get motors to turn
do you have any error or warning messages ? , did you connect up any limit switches or Estop etc . or amplifier enable
post your hal and ini config files , which version of linuxcnc are you using and what connections have you made etc , these all help .

usualy if you have any enable connections to your stepper drives , it's a good idea to remove this whilst testing , did you use stepconf to make your configuration ?

More
09 Apr 2014 21:15 #45760 by n_spect_r
Replied by n_spect_r on topic Can't get motors to turn
No limits yet I just have things on the table. I have found a solution, had to set all of the driver values to 10000 and managed to get things moving. These motors dont seem to like going faster than 14 ipm though. I ran some sample programs and the computer monitor moves but the motors just bump and hum, slowing things down and I have movement. Thanks for the reply. I plan to start mounting things today.

More
10 Apr 2014 02:10 #45769 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Can't get motors to turn
describe your drivers, or the design you have used

More
11 Apr 2014 21:12 #45849 by n_spect_r
Replied by n_spect_r on topic Can't get motors to turn
Microstep driver CW230. We bought a package of 3 425 oz-in motors and controllers with parallel interface.
Might need to increase to a 651 oz motor. Initial testing has been pretty good but I have to keep speeds down below 15ipm. Compared to 0 that's pretty good. Compared to the Mazaks in the shop it's slow. I'd like to know what each value means, Time-Space-Direction Hold-Direction Setup, I'll do some googling. Looking for someone else that has this setup.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds