Beware: Sherline's CNC Product is horrible

More
13 Aug 2014 04:16 #49779 by GaryLa
I just got the Sherline CNC mill/lathe package.

I don't think they should say they have CNC software. The CD they provide is incomplete and doesn't yield anything that works. Also, they know nothing about the software and have no tech support.

The circuit board is about 10 years out of date and is poorly designed. They even glued the cables to the connectors...

I have lots of Linux experience, write kernel modules and applications and have designed many circuit boards. Normally, I'd dive right in, but I paid for a complete product -- not a half-baked kit that I have to debug. There's no excuse for this given they provide a CD with the OS and LinuxCNC together. I dedicated a PC to it and it still couldn't manage to work.

So beware: Their CNC package should be avoided unless you want to pull your hair out.

Remember: Linux is free as long as you don't value your time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2014 00:47 #50226 by GaryLa
Update:

The CD doesn't install anything useful - unless you happen to own the exact same PC they use. Not a major problem, except for the fact they don't tell you this...

I called for some tech support and learned the reason they don't tell you is - they don't know anything about computers, their driver board or the software. Nothing. Nada. They use the usual "it's you, it's your fault, nobody ever has this problem..."

When I bought the product they stated "we have a tech guy". So I asked "where's the tech guy?" Nobody knew. It turned out that he took a few months off for surgery, he just didn't tell anyone. They never noticed he was gone. Yikes. A week later I talked to him and he knew as much about Linux as a run-of-the-mill newbie. When I told him how I had to fix their config files, he asked if I could document it for him so he could put it on their website.

While talking to the guy in the showroom, I happened to say that I installed a fan on their driver box. He flipped. He told me I violated my warranty and since it wasn't their computer anyway, I was "on my own". So now my warranty is invalid on everything. Not just the $500 driver box, but the whole $4,200 package. (He retracted this later.)

I have also come to the conclusion that they are really in the nickel-and-dime-you-to-death business. I believe they purposely design this stuff knowing you will need to buy spacers and risers and plates and doo-dads and thingies and so on and so on. To make it worse, their parts are VERY expensive.

Usually I build things. But I wanted to start machining immediately, so I decided to buy instead of build. I guess this'll teach me!!

BTW: Nearly every employee I encountered had an attitude problem. With the owner of 30+ years having recently passed away, I'm guessing this company is headed down.

More
25 Aug 2014 02:38 #50233 by cncbasher
install the latest linuxcnc build and it will work , the cd's far outdated anywhere by years , even the linuxversion they use , has passed it's sell by date
The following user(s) said Thank You: GaryLa

More
07 Aug 2015 22:37 - 07 Aug 2015 22:40 #61207 by dreiii
Started with the 3 axis CNC upgrade kit for my Sherline in Sept. 2009. Everything worked as expected. Came with Ubuntu 8.04. Have since upgraded to 10.04. Everything still works. Don't know what all the complaints are about. As with all software there is a learning curve. I use the Axis GUI. It was available with both versions. Guess it depends on the user expectations. Having worked in the computer field for 23 years prior to my upgrade I was prepared me for the bumps in the road. To me LinuxCNC and the Axis GUI are a lot easier than another package that is widely used. Tried to get my head wrapped around it on 2 different versions. Just too much trouble. Maybe some thought it was a turnkey system from the creation of designs to the cutting. I much prefer the power of LinuxCNC over the software that runs my Shark CNC Router and am in the process of changing over to a parallel breakout board to replace the USB NCPod unit on my Shark. As far as design software, I use both V-Carve Pro v8 and CamBam 0.98n.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2015 22:40 by dreiii. Reason: Posted first incorrectly

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds