installing linuxcnc-sim

More
10 Oct 2013 06:20 #39721 by somenewguy
Replied by somenewguy on topic installing linuxcnc-sim
ok so the default axis.ini and friends are editable, I had assuemed they would be read-only and needed to be copied out. Should I be playing with them, or should I manually copy and create new configs?

I am also gonna go figure out how to pull whatever version I am running in the shop, gotta check and do that so I don't get confused by differences between versions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2013 15:04 #39725 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic installing linuxcnc-sim

Should I be playing with them, or should I manually copy and create new configs?

I should copy the elements of the config to a new folder. You either make one inside the RIP build or in your /config folder, to save messing up the samples.
It probably was stepconf which created it on your old install

I use several versions based upon axis_mm sim to test modules etc, there are only about 6 - 8 files you really need, but be aware that some files are diffferent in a simulator build.
There are still symlinks to core_sim.hal for instance, which does not exist.

regards

More
27 Dec 2013 23:01 #42062 by somenewguy
Replied by somenewguy on topic installing linuxcnc-sim
Quoting myself to see if anyone has any input on this. I am doing another install on a new machine and following my own instructions. Is there an error in the instructions online as I am pointing out below, or is this a local issue that i just worked around somehow?

RIP? is that like WIP?

also I found the issue, the last two steps are
export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/scripts/rip-environment
 . scripts/linuxcnc
but I dont think that will work, it either needs to be
export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/scripts/
. linuxcnc
or
export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/
. scripts/linuxcnc
whichever makes more sense from a usage point of view, I would think the former but I am not sure. Thanks for the help guys I seem to be up and running. Now when I launch a demo config, and ask it to create a short cut it will do that, however it does not create a config folder, which IIRC was done automagically on my real instal, or did stepconf create the config folder?

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds