NEWS
2.6 Live+Install image

Announcing a new Live+Install DVD image for installing LinuxCNC 2.6 on Debian Wheezy. Instructions here.

LinuxCNC 2.6.3 is released

Several bugs fixed, see the change log.

LinuxCNC 2.6.2 Released

Bug fix see the change log.

Home Forum General Installing LinuxCNC Is my computer suitable?

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is my computer suitable?

Re:Is my computer suitable? 13 Apr 2012 07:14 #19175

• yello
  • Junior Boarder
BigJohnT wrote:when you use remote desktop and no monitor does opengl still cause problems? [/quote]

I am not an expert on Linux, but I think the remote desktop has no positive effect on the video resources. It's the same like switching your monitor off, the signal is still at the video output. With remote desktop I get the same screen resolution on the Xp as I would have with the Linux monitor. But it's a nice way to setup the linux PC without jumping physically between PCs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Is my computer suitable? 13 Apr 2012 07:53 #19176

• ArcEye
  • Thank you received: 507
Hi
ArcEye, when you use remote desktop and no monitor does opengl still cause problems? How does that all work?
As I understand it, if the linux box is at run-level 5, meaning an X-server is running and the GUI application (axis) is running via that xserver, the client box (XP) is essentially a dumb terminal and the video rendering is performed on the server.

That is why if you connect to an old slow machine with poor graphics, from a new fire breathing gaming machine, you still get the same crappy output from the old one!

Accessing the server from a client machine running the GUI app is completely different, because the rendering will be done on the client, using whatever data from the server.

regards

Re:Is my computer suitable? 14 Apr 2012 02:46 #19189

• yello
  • Junior Boarder
I tried to put the 8.04 on another PC and it won't load. Installation (or just try) gets stuck with a '/sbin/modprobe abornmal exit' and then a BusyBox or something like that. Any idea how to get around that?

If that matters, I try to install from a multi-OS USB stick. 10.04 and 11.10 start fine.

Re:Is my computer suitable? 14 Apr 2012 02:58 #19190

• ArcEye
  • Thank you received: 507
I tried to put the 8.04 on another PC and it won't load.
Whether 8.04 or 10.04 load is entirely PC dependent.

8.04 should have loaded on the PC that you gave the spec of at the beginning of the thread, but if you are trying on a completely different PC...........

The errors regards modprobe and busybox would indicate that it is only getting as far as trying to set up the ramdisk file system before hitting problems, so I would not bother further with 8.04 on that machine.

But it is well worth trying it on the AMD 1200Mhz if you haven't done so yet.

regards

Re:Is my computer suitable? 15 Apr 2012 20:00 #19228

• yello
  • Junior Boarder
ArcEye wrote:
Whether 8.04 or 10.04 load is entirely PC dependent.

Yes. I am back to the first PC today and 8.04 installed without a problem. Upgrading to 2.5 was easy too, latency stays below 9000/15000.

So looks that PC should work (hopefully). In a moment I will need help with the further setup....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.888 seconds