Zen Toolworks Spindle Motor config

More
15 Jan 2013 05:37 - 15 Jan 2013 05:45 #28705 by Candice
Hello,

I purchased the Spindle Motor for my Zen Toolworks machine.
I currently have the TB6560 [red] and I have no idea where to put the two wires (black and white).

The available ports are:
-Output Port
-Limit Port
-5th Port
-COM

Where do I put the two wires for the spindle motor?

thanx.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2013 05:45 by Candice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2013 09:52 #28711 by jaredts
Unless I'm missing something, you have a stepper driver board and you're trying to hook it up to a dc motor. Won't work. You need a dc motor drive board. You can use a rheostat or an adjustable power supply, but that is no replacement for a pulse width modulation dc board.

More
15 Jan 2013 17:25 #28714 by cncbasher
it's usual when using a dc motor to use a relay as a switch along with a dc power supply to feed the motor , and use one of the output pins on the controller to switch the relay on and off ...
but you will only have control of the spindle as off or full speed , and no variable speed control , for this you will need a PWM to dc speed controller

More
15 Jan 2013 22:48 #28725 by Candice
thanks for your replies.

do you recommend a particular motor? if so, please provide the link. this is very new to me and I want to make the most sense of it as I can. I would like to be able to control the motor to be on and off - and not by plugging in the plug, etc.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:14 #28958 by andypugh

I currently have the TB6560 [red] and I have no idea where to put the two wires (black and white).

Is it this controller board?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TB6560-CNC-3-Axis-Ste...&hash=item2ec05d0c63
That appears to have a spindle relay mounted on the board.

You need to work out what pin on the parallel port operates the relay, then connect that up to the spindle on/off in stepconf (or directly in HAL).

It isn't clear if the relay acts simply as a switch or if it is connected to the main power supply.
In the first configuration the relay will simply make a connection when operated, and so you would wire:
power-supply+ -> relay terminal1
motor+ -> relay terminal 2
motor- -> power supply-

However, if the relay switches power from the main stepper PSU, then the connection is just motor+ -> relay terminal1 and motor- -> relay terminal-. This is much less likely, though, as it would be unusual to have a spindle operating at the same voltage as the steppers. (You seem to have that, but it is not common. often spindles will be 240V)

If the control board has any documentation, then it might say.

Initially I would suggest just seeing if you can make the relay click when you press the spindle-on and spindle-off buttons in the Axis interface.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds