Newbie question about press brake

More
12 Dec 2012 00:19 #27590 by alfred_j_kwak
Hi,

So I'm brand new in here and also with LinuxCNC so I have plenty of questions.
I was today fixing quite old Safan hydraulic press brake and started to think that if it is possible to replace old control system with Linux CNC. I tried to do search, but found nothing about press brakes. Is it even possible to control hydraulic press brake with Linux?

Oh and I'm sorry about my writing, I'm fluent with finnish. B)

-Jussi-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2012 00:23 #27591 by BigJohnT
LinuxCNC doesn't know what type of machine you have. I assume you have two things to control the press and the back gauge. Seems simple enough if you have a way to drive the valves and get position feedback.

John

More
12 Dec 2012 00:34 #27593 by alfred_j_kwak
Nice,
There is some kind of proportional valves - two cylinders - two valves. And both of those cylinders have 5k slide potentiometers. Back gauge is Lenze servo motor with some kind of control card. LinuxCNC should control simultaneous movement of those cylinders - I suppose that one would be master and other one slave.

-Jussi-

More
12 Dec 2012 04:44 #27602 by andypugh

two cylinders - two valves. And both of those cylinders have 5k slide potentiometers. Back gauge is Lenze servo motor with some kind of control card. LinuxCNC should control simultaneous movement of those cylinders - I suppose that one would be master and other one slave.-

Sounds like fun, and eminently possible.

I am using Lenze servo motors on my milling machine. Do you know what form of control input the motor drivers use? If it is analogue voltage then it is all fairly easy.

The motors probably use resolvers, so keeping the original drive cards is likely to be easiest. (Though I am using non-original drives and a resolver conversion card, and that works nicely too, but at greater expense)

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds