beginner lathe conversion .

More
17 Jul 2014 09:42 #48855 by skeeter
Replied by skeeter on topic beginner lathe conversion .
Hi, Einar. Perhaps I didn't explain the cnc part of this lathe well enough . This is an old Hardige collet lathe made in 1945 . The bed for this lathe is different from other collet lathes from this company . They changed it in either the late 40's or early 50's to a standard dovetail config . On mine the dovetails are flared out at the bottom not in like it's later cousins also it has a t slot right down the middle of the bed with a slot machined right through the bed to allow for the bolt and nut to clamp the original crosslide and compound to the bed . I am machining a new bed that will sit in this existing bed and will have new style dovetails on the top . This is where my new crossslide and tailstock that I am making will ride along with the x and y screws . This will be an entire assembly that can be removed in a few minutes . Just several bolts and several wires and lift off . Then go back to manual mode with it's own original crossslide compound and tailstock for my manual machining mode . it's not like a conventional engine lathe . I understand about turning the steppers and possible damage to the system . Thank you for telling me that . I will remember that . The reason I am doing this is to learn cnc use linux cnc and have the obvious advantages of a cnc lathe . I have a toolpost grinder that I want to use on this as well . I am also thinking about using a cnc dividing head for cutting gears and having a milling spindle on the crossslide . But first things first . I hope I have explained this so it's clearer for everyone . I will post some pics soon if that is ok with management ?

Thanks again Einar
Regards
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2014 10:16 #48856 by skeeter
Hey , Thanks Rick . I see the use of sub routines and the method Andy uses will be very usefull . But for an example I have a part that I want to make that has alot of geometery sweeping curves radius and radi on top of that just one off peices each one different . What do I need to do this ? I have a friend that has a full blown pkg of bob cad/cam which I understand I can buy and license and legally own would this generate the drawing and the gcode feed linux cnc to machine my part ? Next question I see the name emc2 and linuxcnc are they one and the same ? I have a computer now that has xp on it which will be removed an old emachine the specs are as follows celeron 2.60 ghz 256 meg ram 32 gig HD ecp printer port 2 virtual serial ports ? . I will max out the ram though I think I can put a gig on this at least .I don't have a wifi card in this yet what do you advise that is linux compatible . Should there be a certain sized partition for this software . I guess my first logical move would be to download a iso live cd and test right ?

More
17 Jul 2014 16:31 #48870 by andypugh

On mine the dovetails are flared out at the bottom not in like it's later cousins also it has a t slot right down the middle of the bed with a slot machined right through the bed
This will be an entire assembly that can be removed in a few minutes . Just several bolts and several wires and lift off . Then go back to manual mode with it's own original crossslide compound and tailstock for my manual machining mode . it's not like a conventional engine lathe .
I am also thinking about using a cnc dividing head for cutting gears and having a milling spindle on the crossslide

You are basically re-inventing the "Precision Bench Lathe": www.lathes.co.uk/rivettearly608/index.html where you clamped on accessories to do the job at hand.
I think this might be a very good plan, and in fact I have been seriously considering making a CNC top-slide accessory for my own Rivett 608.

More
17 Jul 2014 16:49 #48872 by andypugh

the method Andy uses will be very usefull

I made a video of production of a batch of moderately complex parts using my macro tabs:

What do I need to do this ? I have a friend that has a full blown pkg of bob cad/cam which I understand I can buy and license and legally own would this generate the drawing and the gcode feed linux cnc to machine my part ?

The reports I have seen of BobCAD have not been complimentary.
I made some parts last night using CamBam in lathe mode. This is quite a lot cheaper than BobCad, though it only really does the DXF - to G-code phase, not the original design. Effectively you pass it a DXF file of the profile you want to cut, tell it how big the starting material is, and it creates G-code for your lathe.
www.cambam.info/doc/plus/cam/Lathe.htm
It is a bit clunky, CamBam is clearly a millin CAM package with a lathe add-on, but it works and you can run it 40 times for free as a trial.

Next question I see the name emc2 and linuxcnc are they one and the same ?

Yes, the EMC corporation had bigger lawyers than us and we were forced to change the name.

I guess my first logical move would be to download a iso live cd and test right ?

Yes, and you can do that without over-writing the Windows installation. Try running the latency test after booting from the CD to see how the machine checks out. But 256MB is likely to be rather too little.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skeeter

More
17 Jul 2014 17:16 #48875 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic beginner lathe conversion .

I guess my first logical move would be to download a iso live cd and test right ?

Yes, start there you can boot from the cd and test linuxcnc. Be sure to run the latency test to see if the computer is a good candidate.

Linuxcnc is the new name for EMC2.

Take a look here...
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/System_Requirements.html
and older info...
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hardware_Requirements

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: skeeter

More
17 Jul 2014 17:37 #48878 by Rick G

I have a part that I want to make that has alot of geometery sweeping curves radius and radi on top of that just one off peices each one different .

Do you currently have a CAD program that you use or like?

IMHO to be productive you need to have a CAD program that is easy for you to learn and use. If you do not use one now try some trial versions to see what works for you.
You can use 2D CAD to create your profile, they are often easier to learn than a 3D package.

After you create your profile and save it as a DXF file you choose another program to convert it to G code.

Rick G

More
26 Jul 2014 08:19 #49156 by skeeter
Hi, Rick . Thanks for the responses . I just ordered 2 gig of ram for what I hope will be my linux box . This board has a built in video card . The cpu is 2.6GHZ. I will have this 2 gig ram which is all the board will take . linux cnc isn't that system hungry is it ? . If the system will not pass the latency test for generating suitable pulses is there an alternative breakout board or something to help with this . I think this first dive into the cnc pool will be with steppers . The cheap ballscrews that andy recommended . This way when I step up to servos There will be that much less to change over . I am looking at budget right now . I have caviar desires and a ramen noodle budget . Does anyone else relate to this LOL ????

Thanks
Terry

More
26 Jul 2014 08:27 #49157 by skeeter
Hi Andy . I watched your video . I got all warm and fuzzy inside LOL . I cant wait till I have a machine thats making chips . These features that you use did you create them ? Can I get them from you ? Could you show me how to make custom ones for myself ? Is this in the realm of a green as grass beginner like me ? Thanks for your responses to my questions as well . BTW I like your yt channel as well .

Regards
Terry

More
26 Jul 2014 15:34 #49165 by Rick G
Linuxcnc computer requirements are pretty light.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hardware_Requirements

I would test your computer and if you need faster pulse generation go to hardware step generation.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

Mesa and Pico are popular and help is available on this forum.

www.mesanet.com/fpgacardinfo.html

pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/index.php?cPath=4

On my mill I use a Mesa 5i20 on my plasma cutter a 5i25. Both with steppers.

Rick G

More
26 Jul 2014 17:50 #49168 by andypugh

These features that you use did you create them ? Can I get them from you

Available here:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...s/26550-lathe-macros

I have a few tweaks to make. That link works, but has a few minor glitches. I will be putting up an improved version in a few weeks (busy).

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds