sending ASCII characters to serial port in EMC

• oct0gen
  • oct0gen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2011 18:39 #7886 by oct0gen
Hello all. New to EMC, CNC, and Linux in general. I built my CNC machine (4-axis, parallel conroller, axis interface, mill-like operation) and seems to run fine so far. I have a few external components that need to perform an action during the execution of the machining operation. They have serial (RS-232/TTL logic level compatable) inferfaces and can be controlled by recieving ASCII characters . The actions are only quasi-realtime and can execute while the CNC itself is in dwell state. I was wondering if it was possible to send ASCII text to the serial port in EMC. I did not see any thing in the G-gode ref manual about serial port control. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2011 22:47 #7891 by BigJohnT
You could use the M1xx commands to execute a script or something and send your info to the serial port.

John

More
16 Mar 2011 23:02 #7892 by andypugh
This page:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal_halmodule.html#r1
Mentions the possibility of using PySerial.

But if you can figure out a way to do what you want from a bash script, John's idea sounds very simple.

More
19 Mar 2011 01:26 #7929 by mozmck
I helped someone with a component that turned on relays via the serial port a while back. You might find something useful here.
www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...id,538/lang,english/

• oct0gen
  • oct0gen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2011 18:19 #7980 by oct0gen
thanks to all for the suggestions. i think with the info you all have given me i should be able to get something working. ive been away from my "toy" for a few days but will get crackin as soon as i can. ill let you know how it turns out.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds